Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Speed-Building Challenge - posted on 17th Oct 2018 at 7:25 PM
Replies: 27 (Who?), Viewed: 5479 times.
Page 1 of 2
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 2:05 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 24th Jun 2018 at 1:31 PM.
Default Help figuring out how to Mod to let witches walk to lot
I don't mind that witches are able to fly, but getting on the broom when they should just walk next door with the other mortals is in the "it was cute the first time" category. Any mod to stop the witch ONLY being able to fly to lot. Can I have back my nice dignified walk?

EDIT: This started out as a WCIF but evolved into a modding discussion. At this point, I'm still searching for the object to mod. I've extracted the bhavs suggested (below) and have also looked at removing the fly transition token, but I'm no closer to a solution. Any help is much appreciated!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Feb 2018 at 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrader
I don't mind that witches are able to fly, but getting on the broom when they should just walk next door with the other mortals is in the "it was cute the first time" category. Any mod to stop the witch ONLY being able to fly to lot. Can I have back my nice dignified walk?

*bump*
I guess there's not a mod to make witches be able to walk again? Any suggestions for work around? Or would it make sense for me to learn more about editing menus, to put it back on along with fly to lot, maybe?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 12:06 AM
I am all for learning new things, and regarding sims modding & creation, it is even more so! I would suggest you try modding it...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS ;)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 1:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebine
I am all for learning new things, and regarding sims modding & creation, it is even more so! I would suggest you try modding it...

I've only looked into TTAB mods a bit. I wouldn't mind working on learning more, but I'd kinda like to know if it makes any sense to try. I really don't know enough to know if it does or not. It seems like it might.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 2:18 AM
This is what I think too. But I am no modder. The Walk To Lot interaction could be altered for witches only. Maybe just a flag to remove ?

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 9:29 PM
Maybe buying a 'Walk to Lot' sign would help?

All the hoods are merely the same, so I made ones where all the Sims aren't straight.
Theorist
#7 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:18 PM
creature specific settings I think would be controlled through BHAVs rather than through TTAB. though the TTAB could tell which BHAV to edit; usually the "Guardian" BHAV.
there are tutorials for editing both. this site's wiki; also Sim Resource's wiki.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 12:30 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 14th Feb 2018 at 1:23 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsb759
creature specific settings I think would be controlled through BHAVs rather than through TTAB. though the TTAB could tell which BHAV to edit; usually the "Guardian" BHAV.
there are tutorials for editing both. this site's wiki; also Sim Resource's wiki.

Thank you, I will look into this, though it may be above my pay grade. @mdsb759, would you mind linking to the tutorials you think would be most useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyoffailures
Maybe buying a 'Walk to Lot' sign would help?

@legacyoffailures Oooo, promising! I didn't know about this. Thanks! I'll try that.

UPDATE: Sadly, buying the sign did not work. If my witch is active and I click the sign, he still only has the option of flying. Sigh.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:15 PM

Thank you, that's a good start. Some of them I have read. That's how I understood the TTAB and whatnot. I need one really basic piece of info, though. In most of these, they are talking about modifying an object, which I've dabbled in, but, and I know this may be dumb, but for the "Walk to Lot" menu on the Sim, what is it? What "object" do I need to look into editing to edit the Sim menu itself?
Dancing Flamingo
staff: administrator
#11 Old 15th Feb 2018 at 9:28 PM
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#12 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugeLunatic
The thing to edit would be the BHAV - Walk To.... One is home one is community, both have a flag to check if sim is witch and then it changed dialog to Fly To...

Thank you!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th May 2018 at 1:29 PM
I'm bringing back this thread because I'm revisiting the issue and going to try to mod it, but I need help finding the BHAV - Walk to... How do I access it? Where is it stored?
Mad Poster
#14 Old 17th May 2018 at 1:34 PM
I think, you'd need to import it from semi global. But HugeLunatic is way better than me at this!
So...maybe go read about how to import semi global?...

Lab Assistant
#15 Old 17th May 2018 at 4:56 PM
In objects.package:
BVAV 0x05EA Interaction - Walk To - Community Lot TEST
and
BHAV 0x05EC Interaction - Walk To - Home TEST
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 17th May 2018 at 6:02 PM
Do I just open objects.package as I would open a custom one, or do I load it in Object Workshop and find it in there somehow?
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 17th May 2018 at 7:12 PM
You just click on it like you'd open a custom one, find the lines you are looking for and right click and hit extract, then put them in a new package. You probably know this, but just to be safe - don't make any changes to the objects.package file.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th May 2018 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 1st Jun 2018 at 1:17 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omglo
You just click on it like you'd open a custom one, find the lines you are looking for and right click and hit extract, then put them in a new package. You probably know this, but just to be safe - don't make any changes to the objects.package file.

Thank you! Yes, but good reminder.

EDIT:

I tried, I pulled out those BHAVs, but I still don't see anywhere in those to change a flag regarding witches.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Jun 2018 at 4:15 PM
It's been a while, but I have continued to try to solve this issue and I just don't have enough knowledge at this point. I have extracted the BHAVs and poured over them in my limited way, but I don't see a test for witches. Could anyone more knowledgeable kindly take a look and point it out to me?
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip walkwitch.zip (583 Bytes, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Just the community and home tests BHAVs mentioned above.
Rubric Wrangler
staff: administrator
#20 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 12:14 AM
Thread moved to modding discussion, since this has evolved from a WCIF.

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Test Subject
#21 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 6:50 PM Last edited by st_d : 24th Jun 2018 at 7:03 PM.
I didn't download your zip, just looked at the two bhavs in my own objects.package. I've got line 0xF in Interaction - Walk to - Community Lot TEST, and line 0x5 in ~ - Home TEST. I guess what i'd do, once exported and re-imported into a new package, is make both the true and false arrows point to what false is indicating now, which is Return True, and then possibly do a cleanup to remove the now unused true branch. Does that help? I love witches along with their broomsticks, so it would pain me to try q:

Edit to add: What i suggested wouldn't be a way to allow the witches to walk, but rather to make them, because the question "is sim witch?" will always get the answer no. I'm no expert, btw, started modding quite recently, but i'm fascinated with the whole process. And something tells me i'll end up actually trying my hand at this, looking for a way to make it optional.

saint_diana, true Ravenclaw
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Jun 2018 at 11:10 PM
@st_d, Thanks so much for taking a look. I like the witches, too, I just like them to act more like regular sims and to keep the witchcraft on the down low. The broom flights break the illusion for me, and rather gives them away to the sims who aren't supposed to know they are witches. I don't mind stopping the flying altogether. Though, I'd rather, too, they have a choice, for... I don't know... witch conventions or something.

But... when I look at the BHAVs I don't have a line 0xF or 0x5, though I was looking for something like you describe, an obvious test that I could route around, but I don't see anything like that in the files. Do you mean that you are adding lines? or, more likely, I just still don't know what I'm looking at. When you mind taking a screenshot and explaining a little more? I really appreciate your help. I've been struggling with this a long time!
Test Subject
#23 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 8:28 AM Last edited by st_d : 25th Jun 2018 at 9:34 AM.
Ok, first things first (and coffee before even that): which objects.package did you open? For it not to test for witches, i'd wonder if it wasn't from a folder belonging to an earlier expansion. I always work from the most recent (M&G, in my case).

And then, the way i see it, though it'll be a while before success occurs, what needs doing is:
- remove the witch check from the two tests, so that walking is always available;
- add a pie menu entry (to the.. phone booth, definitely; haven't yet found the yellow walking sign, and then there's the self-click menu) whose Guardian (as in, what stops the option from showing, or allows it) should simply be the global "witch - is witch?" (exactly what the check is now in the two tests);
- link this to a new pie function like Fly home/Fly to community - here i've got the problem that idk what instance it should be. I'll probably go back to objects and load the group, see what instance isn't used there (then probably watch it crash my game i've really never made a bhav from scratch).

In a way i like your idea of witches living in secret, very Statute of Secrecy, and yet there are places like Hogsmeade, aren't there? Where no one's a Muggle. I suppose you have the mods that remove aura and skin overlay. Do you also have one that removes the "the Witch" in their names? I tried to replace neutral witches with "Practical Witches" and failed, there must be a third STR# set that i haven't found yet which keeps trumping my little mod.

------------
Edit1: I've found something: the initial suggestion doesn't work, despite the self-menu now saying "Walk to lot", because when Community - Transport gets called, it tests for witches again. That means we'll have to import this too, and bring the flying section outside, to be called on separately.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 1:17 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 25th Jun 2018 at 2:10 PM.
Ok, well, opening the right file made a world of difference! When I think how long by now I could have been crashing my game.... I must have been using the one from apartment life? I don't know. Sheeeesh! Thank you! Big surprise, when I use the right file, there's an obvious test for witches and it's discovered I'm not blind after all! :D

I'm just thinking about different approaches here. I'm wondering if it makes sense to leave the phone booth alone. If you want to walk to lot, you're not going to go to the phone booth, anyway, are you? I've not used the walk sign, but what is it for if you can just walk with a self-click? Also, how does the Add/Change the Action String work? In this case, it's clearly changing the string, but is it possible there to make it only add the fly string, so that the walk string is never changed? I see that the test for witch is needed to let them go to the secret witch lot as well. It would make sense if they could fly there.

I've also played with the idea of removing the token for the Fly Transition, but I haven't been able to figure out if that even makes sense yet.

The hats were the first thing to go. I have CJ-NoWitchName (It just changes a BHAV) and LBFNoWitchAura, though my first witch still has the overlay. He's a flashy guy; it looked good on him.
Test Subject
#25 Old 25th Jun 2018 at 2:59 PM
I'm glad at least something of what i said helped q;.

So far it seems that all 3 (booth, sign and self-menu) use the same tests and main functions, so if you remove the witch check from the test, the only way to fly, if we make it work, will be through a sim's menu. Which makes sense, but there's a(n official in-game) recolour of the sign with a witch on a broomstick! I love that one, it's like a departures/ landing pad for broomsticks. Witches this way. Oh man, now i want a parking lot like for bikes, even if they conjure/vanish their brooms. Anyway. I guess it stops being an action string if Walk to... always shows, and Fly to... appears only if sim's a witch. An action string is found in STR#, not TTAs, and it's like a toggle. Like casting spell for insects which enacts either the day OR the night version. I do wonder if this discussion didn't happen in game design, and the cleaner way to do it ended up being muggles walk and witches fly, end of story. Or they drive.

Tokens are a bit of a mystery for me yet. It's like there's a world of markers that we can't see, and i don't know their structure. I mean, i know how to declare a variable lol, in a school-type programming environment, but if i say hey, here's my token of GUID whatever's next in my block, with the Attributes label and counter, how does it know what sort they are and how to handle each?

Page 1 of 2